A Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine is a widely used medical device for the treatment of sleep apnea.
Obstructive sleep apnea is caused by obstruction or interruption of the patient’s breathing. Most of the time the patient’s throat and trachea are briefly broken. It also blocks temporarily. This CPAP machine sends a steady stream of compressed air between the nose and mouth to the patient while the patient is asleep. On the other hand, It also helps keep the patient’s airways open and allows them to breathe normally.
We will now know how this CPAP machine works. And what are the advantages and disadvantages of using it?
How does a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine work?
The compressor of a CPAP machine creates an uninterrupted flow of compressed air. Which travels through an air filter into another flexible tube. This tube supplies air to you through your nose and mouth. When you fall asleep, the airflow of this machine opens your airways. Through this, your lungs get a lot of oxygen.
As long as there is no obstruction in this supply of oxygen, you will be able to continue breathing continuously.As a result, you do not have to wake up again and again. To resume breathing.
How many types of CPAP machines are there?
Usually, different types of CPAP machines have similar components.
- A standard motor holding a base unit.
- Cushion mask.
- A tube. Which attaches the motor to the mask.
- Comes with a hit gear frame.
- With elbows, pieces. Which acts as a joint.
- Devices have adjustable straps. Which allows the device to customize the feed.
The CPAP machine has different types of masks. Such as:
Masks can vary with different continuous positive airway pressure machines. Depending on what type of clothing you wear and what type of sleep apnea you have. Which mask would be right for you?
And which mask will be comfortable for you. There are different types of CPAP machines. The thenotable masks are mentioned below.
First the flower mask. These masks are mainly triangular in shape. It covers the patient’s face and nose. If the patient breathes through the mouth while sleeping if the patient has any kind of obstruction in the nose. The doctor told the patient to use this type of mask.
The second is the Nasal mask.This is a kind of cushion mask. Which covers the entire area of the patient’s nose.Patients who move or move during sleep. This could be a good option for them. This mask provides high pressure air flow to the patient.
The third condition is the Nasal pillow mask. This type of mask has a very small cushion. This cushion stays fixed on the patient’s nostrils. It fits in the patient’s nostrils. Wearing this mask will not make it difficult for you to wear any type of glasses. Those who have a lot of hair. In their case, big masks can cause problems. In that case, it is very appropriate.
What’s the difference between a CPAP machine, an APAP machine, and a BiPAP machine?
All the respirators that we use to breathe. Those devices include CPAP machine APAP and BiPAP machines. Now we will know how these are different?
CPAP machine: A CPAP machine is a device for producing compressed air at a constant air pressure level.If you want to change the air pressure during use. Then you need to reset the device settings.APAP machine : This automatic positive airflow pressure machine monitors your breathing throughout the night. It adjusts the air pressure in cases where there may be a change in breathing automatically.
BiPAP machine : The two-tier positive airflow pressure machine has two pressure settings. The first is the pressure to breathe and the second is the low pressure to exhale. It is used by all those patients. Those who cannot use CPAP machines. It can also be used in patients who have elevated levels of carbon dioxide.Patients who have central sleep apnea. They have backup respiratory rates for BiPAP devices. The backup respiratory rate ensures the person’s breathing. This is because the main problem with central sleep apnea is the onset of shortness of breath.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a consistently positive airway pressure machine? There are many advantages and disadvantages to using this machine. It is mentioned below.
There are many advantages to using a CPAP machine. These machines provide uninterrupted oxygen to the patient during sleep. Doing so can prevent shortness of breath. When a patient uses CPAP over a long period of time. Then his list of benefits also grows.
- List of advantages of using the machine.
- Lowers blood glucose and cholesterol levels.
- Reduces daytime sleep, increases nighttime sleep.
- Helps to reduce blood pressure.
- Reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke or other cardiovascular events.
- Improves sleep ability.
Although there are many advantages to using this device. Even after that there are some difficulties in using it.The disadvantages are:
- Feeling of bloating due to wind.
- Irritation of the skin.
- Blood may run through the nose.
- The mouth may become dry.
- May cause claustrophobia or feelings of anxiety.
- In the beginning a little sleep can be a problem.
- The nose may feel closed.
What are the other options for sleep apnea?
Because of their own problems, CPAP machines do not work for every patient with sleep apnea. We see in many cases, CPAP machines do not work well in many cases. In that case, the following medical options may be a good opportunity for you. In this case, you can talk to your doctor.
- In case of changing sleeping position. Some people get sleep apnea when they sleep on their backs.Again some pals help to keep you aside by preventing you from being rolled over. In this case you can tie a tennis ball to the back of your night dress.
- You can use devices like mouthguards or orthodontic retainers to keep your airways open. The pressure on your tongue will keep your airways open.
- Hypoglossal nerve stimulation provides specific electrical stimulation to the nerves in your airways. It also helps to improve the muscle tone of the patient’s airways and helps to keep the airways open.
- Obesity can be a risk factor for some types of sleep apnea. Nutrition and exercise therapy are very helpful for this. Changing your eating habits and exercise can reduce the severity of your symptoms.
- We have seen some children have apnea because their tonsils or adenoids are too big. Surgery to remove them can often resolve apnea better. However, surgery may not always be a good solution for adults. This is because the location of the blockage that causes sleep apnea is often difficult to identify.
Continuous positive tracheal pressure machines treat sleep apnea by providing a stream of oxygenated air to your trachea through a mask or a tube in your trachea. The pressurized air prevents the patient’s airways from collapsing.
As a result, when you sleep, Can breathe endlessly.
There are different types of CPAP machine . However, what type of sleep apnea you have will depend on what your doctor advises you. When a CPAP machine delivers airflow at a constant pressure.The BiPAP and APAP machines then adjust the pressure according to the patient’s needs.
However, this Continuous Positive Airway Pressure CPAP machine is uncomfortable for some people. If you think this device is not working well for you. Then you should talk to your doctor and take alternative measures.